2010年9月28日 星期二

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love (1982)


1982 belongs to ABC!

I first came across this group via a single review of "Tears of Not Enough" in November 1981, actually.  Never got to hear what it sounds like but was quite impressed by the single cover.  The next year saw the release of their second single "Poison Arrow".  Heard it on BFBS and had it recorded on a cassette tape and I became a convert of the band right there and then!  The song was written in the style of funk with the piano intro giving way to an infectious beat and a thumping bass and I began to wonder if this was done by a group of black musicians as I did not possess any information of the band.  How wrong was I! 

Then in spring came their 3rd single "The Look of Love" again trasmitted via the radio to my ears.  Now this is a smogasbord of a song - you can hear the joy that went into the production.  Smartly produced, beautifully arranged, and exquisitely performed - this song was just a joy to hear!

Finally, the band's magnum opus - their first album "The Lexicon Of Love".  Thanks to their producer Trevor Horn, it was a blast from the beginning to the end.  Every song is a gem - every melody needed to be sung along and every lyric needed to be savoured.  That record came out in August 1982, but I didn't get to buy it until October.  I remember buying the record, went home, put it on the turntable and then I'll put a pair of headphones on and start that wonderful journey with the band.  The ritual lasted all the way till Christmas!  Only through listening the entire album can you only understand the joy that it brings.  Great production techniques, great songwriting, great lyrics and a wonderful album cover.  This record became one of my all-time favourites.  You can't go wrong with The Lexicon Of Love!

This record has been re-released with bonus tracks on CD - live stuff, extended remixes, demos etc;  but the real deal is the album - close to 40 minutes of magic split into 2 sides of vinyl.  I have two copies of vinyl in my record collection and they beat the re-issued CDs hands down!  If you haven't heard this album, go out and buy one!  You won't be disappointed!

沒有留言:

張貼留言